Application process and application deadlines for admission-restricted programs and subjects
Information on the application process and application deadlines for open-admission programs and subjects can be found here: Application and Enrollment.
The application deadline for all case groups is 01.04. for the winter semester. Applications must be submitted via the Student Registration Office. Please use this application form for your application. The application must be submitted completely and on time by e-mail to the Student Registration Office.
The documents to be enclosed can be found in the application form.
Note on the selection process:
Four percent of the available study places are reserved for all applicants in case group 1 and case group 2 for courses and subjects with restricted admission. If there are more applicants than available study places, a selection procedure is carried out. A selection committee determines a ranking based on the application documents and a selection interview. In the teaching profession, this selection procedure must be carried out for each teaching subject with restricted admission.
According to § 2 BBHZVO, access to studies on the basis of professional advancement training is granted to those who have obtained one of the following degrees of advancement training:
- Master craftsman's certificate in accordance with §§ 45 or 51a of the Crafts Code,
- Equivalent advanced training qualification for which examination regulations exist in accordance with §§ 53 or 54 of the Vocational Training Act or §§ 42 or 42a of the Crafts Code,
- Completion of a technical school in accordance with the Framework Agreement on Technical Schools of the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs of the Länder in the Federal Republic of Germany,
- completion of an equivalent advanced training course regulated by state law for occupations in the health care sector and in the field of social care or social education occupations, or
- Completion of other equivalent advanced training regulated by federal or state law.
If you belong to one of these groups of people, you generally have unrestricted access to higher education.
According to § 3 BBHZVO, access to the study program on the basis of professionally appropriate vocational training and professional activity is granted to those who
- has completed a vocational training course of at least two years' duration, as regulated by federal or state law, and
- has subsequently worked for at least three years in the occupation for which training was provided or in an occupation that is professionally equivalent to the vocational training. Two years are sufficient for scholarship holders of the federal advancement scholarship program.
The relevant date for determining sufficient professional activity is September 30 for the winter semester. On this date, the above-mentioned amount of professional activity must have been achieved and proven. Further professionally related vocational training is recognized as professional activity. Part-time employment of at least half-time will be counted as professional activity with the corresponding share. Please note that the vocational training and the professional activity carried out must both be professionally related to the desired course of study.
If you belong to this group of persons, you are generally qualified to take up a course of study or subject corresponding to your professional qualification and professional activity.
In accordance with § 4 BBHZVO, an entrance examination can be taken by anyone who has
- has completed at least two years of vocational training regulated by federal or state law and
- has subsequently worked for at least three years in a profession that does not correspond to the vocational training or the intended course of study. Two years are sufficient for scholarship holders of the federal advancement scholarship program.
The relevant date for determining sufficient professional activity is September 30 for the winter semester. On this date, the above-mentioned amount of professional activity must have been achieved and proven. Equal to professional activity is the main responsible and independent management of a family household and the upbringing of a minor child within the meaning of § 25 paragraph 5 of the Federal Training Assistance Act or the care of a relative within the meaning of § 16 paragraph 5 of the Tenth Book of the Social Code - Social Administrative Procedure and Social Data Protection. In addition, § 4 para. 2 BBHZVO provides a list of further activities that are credited as professional activities in the sense of the above-mentioned requirements. The Berufsbildungshochschulzugangsverordnung - BBHZVO can be found at the end of this page under the item "Information and Application". At least half-time employment or assumption of the previously mentioned tasks will be counted as professional activity with the corresponding share.
The entrance examination consists of a written examination part of 4 time hours to check the subject-specific knowledge and an oral examination part of 30 minutes to check the general competences. For further information on the division of the entrance examination for a teacher training program, please refer to the entrance examination regulations below. Passing the entrance examination entitles you to take up studies related to the course of study, in the case of a teacher training course exclusively with the subject combination applied for.
With the grade of the entrance examination, you participate in the allocation procedure and are treated equally to applicants with a regular university entrance qualification (e.g. the Abitur).
If you have any questions, please contact the Student Advisory Service. The contact persons at the Student Registration Office are available to answer any questions you may have about the application process.
Information and application
- Ordinance on admission to universities of applied sciences (version of 07 October 2016)
- PDF Selection Regulations for Students Qualified in Vocational Education and Training of the TU Dortmund University
- PDF Regulations for the entrance examination for students qualified in vocational education of the TU Dortmund University
- PDF Regulations for Trial Studies of the TU Dortmund University
- Application form for admission-restricted bachelor's degree programs and teaching degree programs